Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spinning Wheel

I got a new spinning wheel - an Ashford Traditional Double Drive.


It is a joy to spin with - I was amazed how different from my other spinning wheel (an Ashford Kiwi - which is a really good wheel too, just different).


I spun my first skein of yarn on the new wheel - it came out very even (the fibre was easy to spin).


This was the fibre - 75% Superwash Merino and 25% Nylon (Bare Stroll Roving from Knit Picks), that I dyed with an odd assortment of colours (I am trying to step out of my 'colour box' when dyeing).


The bobbins before plying.


The colours were beautiful to watch spin, and I look forward to seeing how it knits up. I was hoping to make socks, but (surprisingly for me!) it came out a bit too thin. I might try making gloves with this yarn.

This week I also crocheted something - it has been a long time since I have crocheted anything (when I was young I made a lot of things in crochet), and I really enjoyed it.
I know I have two 'crochet' patterns on Ravelry, but I consider Romanian Point Lace a type of embroidery.


I made a little bag to attach to my spinning wheel, to hold the oil bottle, yarn gauge etc. I felted the bag when it was finished.


The colour is better in the top photo. I used some of my first hand spun yarn from two years ago.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...